5 Things to Look for when purchasing a Knee CPM Machine
All Knee CPM machines do pretty much the same thing. They bend a patient’s knee and keep it moving. This movement helps to ease their pain by reducing their swelling. So how, if you are in the market for CPM machines, do you decide which of the many different CPM machines is right for your patients and your facility?
Through years of experience, we have broken it down into 5 important things:
1. Width of Leg Carriage (also known as the orthosis): Knee CPM machines come in a variety of widths. Generally, we recommend that a facility purchase a machine with a wider orthosis as you can accommodate more patients comfortably.
2. Weight of machine: CPM machines have to be taken on and off beds. With many hospitals having a “zero lift” policy, we generally recommend a lighter machine (23-24 lbs) rather than a heavier one.
3. Ease of use of hand controller: Nothing is more frustrating than trying to figure out how to run a new piece of equipment. Some CPM machines have complicated controllers. Others have much easier, more intuitive hand controllers.
4. Warranty: Some machines come with a two-year warranty, others only a 1-year warranty.
5. Reversible Footplate: A reversible or pediatric footplate will accommodate a wider range of leg lengths. Many machines have this feature built in so that there is not a separate adapter to purchase.
Of course, there are many other parts to a CPM machine, but when it comes down to it, if you follow these 5 guiding principles, you’ll end up with a CPM machine that works quite well for your individual situation.
For your free consultation to help you decide which machine is best for your situation, please give us a call at 1 (877) 301-4276.